. .

Monthly Archives: September 2019

Comments Off on Sio’s long-term future won’t hinge on footy

Sio’s long-term future won’t hinge on footy

Sio’s long-term future won’t hinge on footy

Sio’s long-term future won’t hinge on footy TweetFacebookKen Sio is off contract at the Knights at the end of the season but has already made adecision about his long-term future.
Nanjing Night Net

“Whatever happens with my footy, we’ll be coming back here to Newcastle to live when it’s all over,”he said this week.

“The family loves it here and my partner [Victoria] has a good job. This is where we want to settle down long-term.Hopefully, there will be no reason to have to leave.”

Truth is, the Knights would be mad to let him go.

Sio isnotthe game’s most flamboyant or fashionable winger. Far from it.

But hedoesn’t earn the big dollars that plenty of the NRL’s high-profile finishers demand either andrarely hands in a bad performance.

Knights coach Nathan Brown says Sio’s strength is that there is only a small gap between his best and his worst performances.

“You know what you are going to get every week with Kenny,”Brown said.

“He’s consistent, reliable and knows how to finish. You never have to worry about him and off the field, he’s a really good family man who does everything right.”

Scoring hat-tricks, like he did against the Wests Tigers in Tamworth last weekend, certainly won’t hurt Sio’sprospects of landing a new contract.

Mr Reliable: Knights winger Ken Sio has scored five tries in three appearances in the top grade this season since coming back into the side following a season-ending injury to centre Tautau Moga. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

While he scored 37 tries in just 57 games for Parramatta in his four seasons at the club, his three tries against the Tigerswas his first hat-trick in the NRL and just the second of his career.

Ittook his tally to five tries from three games this season since breaking back into the top grade. Last season, he scored the same number in 21 games.

“It’s taken me five years [in the NRL]to get one,”Sio joked about his hat-trick.

“I’ve scored a lot of doubles but getting that hat-trick was pretty special and I thank all the boys that did the plays that set me up.”

A regular in the top grade last season, Sio found himself in NSW Cup to start the season with Nathan Ross and ShaunKenny-Dowall preferred on the wings.

And had it not been for centre Tautau Moga’s season-ending knee injury against St George Illawarra in round four, Sio may still have been playing there.

But ask him about his lower grade experience and he finds apositive rather than a negative.

Pressure: Manly winger Aku Uate is likely to come under extra pressure from his old club.

“That’s the thing with having depth in our squad, it brings out your A game,”he said.

“Going back to reggies and starting off the year there, it gave me a real drive to keep working hard on the stuff I need to improve on.

“Instead of going back and kicking stones, it adds more fuel to the fire to keep improving every week.

“Last year, we didn’t have that so you virtually knewyou were going to get picked. It just makes a difference to your mind-set.”

Sio, who has shown his versatility this season by switching to the left wing after playing on the right side last season, will be faced with keeping former Knights flyer Aku Uate under wraps when the Knights face Manly on Friday night at Brookvale’s Lottoland.

“I didn’t markhim last season because we were on opposite sides but we’ll be up against each other this time,”he said.

“We all know how Aku is. He runs it hard, is fast but hopefully, we can put him under some pressure.”

Comments Off on Warden out for three games

Warden out for three games

Warden out for three games

OUT: Cessnock Goannas front-rower Kurt Warden. Picture: Jonathan Carroll
Nanjing Night Net

Cessnockprop Kurt Warden has taken the early guilty plea for a first-round cannonball tackle andwill miss three Newcastle Rugby League matches, starting with Saturday’s Coalfields derby against Kurri Kurri.

Warden was officially suspended on Wednesday after opting not to contest the charge, which was handed down by the NSW Rugby League judiciary following the weekend’s incident.

The 25-year-old formerBroncos lower grader, who joined the Goannas last season, was penalised in the 26thminute of Saturday’s36-0 loss away to Maitland.

He wasthird man into thetackle, which has left Pickers forward Rob Mason (knee) injuredand awaiting scans on Thursday to determine the extent of the damage.

Warden, who will be available to play again when Cessnock hostSouthson May 26, received 324 points for the offence. The base penalty was 200 points, but proving costly were 94 carry over points plus80 loaded points for a recent similar offence. He got 50 points off forthe early guilty plea.

Goannas teammate Paul Carter escaped sanction on Tuesday despitebeing put on report by referee John Taylor for a high tackle in the same game.

Comments Off on Cove goes overboard with new precinct

Cove goes overboard with new precinct

Cove goes overboard with new precinct

HIGH-CALIBRE: There’s lots to love about the Aussie-made Haines Signature 788SF, on show at Sanctuary Cove.YOU’LL think you’ve died and gone to runabout heaven, or walked into a beer commercial, when you see the new Sports, Leisure and Fishing Boats precinct at the upcoming Sanctuary Cove boat show.
Nanjing Night Net

The 5000sq metre outdoor space will be as full as King Street with RIBs, day boats, weekenders, fishing rigs, plus high-performance sports, ski and tow boats, all under eight metres in length.

If that’s not enough, there’s daily fishing demonstrations and masterclasses at the Yamaha Supertank, educational boating seminars and workshops.

Builders and dealers will make the most of the occasion with some new model launches.

Haines Signature is debuting the 788SF, the largest centre console the Brisbane boatbuilder has built. It features an all-new hull with a variable-deadrise running surface ranging from 16 to 34 degrees, full composite construction and a fuel capacity of more than 500 litres.

Responding to the recent surge in American super centre consoles, the 26-footer is a hot, locally-made alternative with many big advantages, not least being legally trailable without a permit thanks to a 2.5-metre beam.

Most of the similar-sized imports are at least 2.59-metres wide, though you’ll still need a hefty vehicle to tow this 3.4-tonne lump.

Recommended power for the hull would be a single 400hp outboard or twin 250s, pricing the 788SF at under $150,000 in base form with hydraulic steering, digital controls, and a tandem-axle aluminium Dunbier trailer with break-away braking. That can quickly accelerate to $200k mark once you get serious about options like hardtop for the twin-seat console, nav screens and joystick helm controls.

HULL BUILDERS RAISING BAR: The latest in the Sea Legend fleet, the Whittley SL20.

From all reports the hull has good stability at rest and underway, despite its slightly narrower beam. It revels in a head-sea ride, with standard trim tabs helping to maintain an optimum planing angle.

There are numerous other standard inclusions, including a handsome double-width centre console with a spacious head, shower and vanity compartment underneath.

Victoria’s Whittley Marine is also flying the Aussie flag with a launch of the SL20 OB, smallest in the series of Sea Legend fishing boats. It’s packaged with a high-quality Mackay trailer and Yamaha F150 4-stroke outboard from around $79,990. The deep-vee 20-foot hull is 23-degrees at the transom for soft ride and sharp performance. It has a sleek cabin leading back to a spacious cockpit that’s ideal for offshore angling.

It’s not just the hull builders raising the bar – the 2018 outboard engine market has become frenetic as major outboard brands upgrade their ranges. Honda Marine recently launched its revamped BF175, BF200, BF225 and BF250 V6 range with a new look and exterior design, easier maintenance and multiple rigging options. The new cowling doesn’t just look good – it improves airflow while funnelling moisture away.

Mercury has a new high-performance 150 four-stroke in the Pro XS range that’s said to be perfect for boats used for watersports or high-level recreational fishing.

The 3-litre V6 engine features class-leading heavy load acceleration and revs willingly to 6000 rpm yet, at 207kg, is almost 10 kilograms lighter than the nearest competitor. It comes with a comprehensive six-year warranty if serviced at an Authorised Service Centre.

Suzuki has also extended its range with a DF350, using a 4.4-litre V6. They’re the first to feature contra-rotating propellers for improved directional stability and better low speed manoeuvrability in single engine installations.

DOWN EAST DESIGN GETS SPORTYTHERE may be a few traditional lobster boats rolling in their watery graves after US boatbuilder Back Cove turned to twin outboard power for its sporty new 34-O.

The Maine-based company is better known for running single shaft-driven diesels in its ‘Down East’ designs, with thrusters for ease of handling, but with the 34O it’s specifying 300hp Yamaha four-strokes, or 350hp Yamaha or Suzuki motors as options.

They’re predicting it to be 10 knots faster than the diesel 34-footer, with added benefits such as shallow draft, low maintenance, joystick docking, and greater integration with your electronics.

More from importer E Marine Motor Yachts.

NEXBA RACING QUICK OFF MARKWITHIN hours of the Notice of Race going live, the 2019 Club Marine Pittwater to Paradise Regatta received its first entry – John Bacon’s Class 40 Nexba Racing.

The yacht had been competing in the Melbourne to Osaka race until Cyclone Iris forced it to shelter in Gladstone. The crew couldn’t return to their position within the prescribed time, so they reluctantly withdrew.

Bacon was back at the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club when he took the opportunity to put Nexba Racing forward as the first entry for the annual coastal race starting on January 2.

See pittwatertoparadise南京夜网.au and sailparadise南京夜网.au

Comments Off on Redman stuck between Coalfields clubs

Redman stuck between Coalfields clubs

Redman stuck between Coalfields clubs

FUTURE: Chad Redman playing for Western Suburbs in last year’s grand final. Picture: Jonathan CarrollNEWCASTLERugby League officials expect a meeting between Maitland and Kurri Kurri next week to help decide the playing future of former NRL hooker Chad Redman.
Nanjing Night Net

The 25-year-old featured as part ofMaitland’sreserve gradeteam in the competition program on Saturday, but didn’t take the field.

In the off-season Redman, who leftWestern Suburbs after playing in last year’s grand final,originally signed with Kurri for 2018but hasn’t donned the jersey.

At this stage no release has been granted and the Coalfields clubs, who don’t face off against one anotheruntil June 23, are hoping to reach some form of arrangement before round three.

ROUND 2: Cessnock v Kurri Kurri (Saturday); Central Newcastle v Macquarie, Lakes v Western Suburbs, South Newcastle v Maitland (Sunday).

* RYAN Stig was in and around the dressing sheds at Harker Oval on Sunday, soaking up Wests’ season-opening victory.Rosellas coach Matt Lantry expects the returning Knights playmaker back on the paddock next month after fully recovering from a rib injury.

* STILL over at the New Lambton venue and a few past and present Knights were in the crowd checking out round-one action between Wests and Central.Danny Levi wastrackside as well as the Stone family, featuring former Knights mentor Rick watchingson Ben play for the Rosellas.

* MACQUARIE will be without new recruit Kelly Benson (ankle) and versatile forward Tye Alchin (hamstring) when they travel to St John Oval to meet Central on Sunday. The respective replacements areJordan Noble and Adam Grew.

* KICK-OFF times in first grade have been shifted back half-an-hour to 3:30pm this season.

Comments Off on Col Gellatley has resigned in protest from his council committee

Col Gellatley has resigned in protest from his council committee

Col Gellatley has resigned in protest from his council committee

Col Gellatley has resigned in protest from his council committee Col Gellatly: Picture: Laurel Lee Roderick
Nanjing Night Net

Jeremy Bath. Picture: Simone De Peak

TweetFacebookNewcastle Heraldhas been told that the restructure was“the final straw” for Dr Gellatly, but a council spokesperson said“no concerns have been expressed” by other members of the audit committee.

n an email to council chief executive Jeremy Bath on April 10, Dr Gellatly wrote:“I understand from recent press reports and the NCC [Newcastle City Council] website that there has been a restructure of the NCC organisation. I note that this will impact on internal audit reporting lines.

“It concerns me that myself and the committee have not been formally advised of the restructure and more concerning, there was no consultation with [the] committee before the announcement.

“Therefore I am resigning as chair of the audit and risk committee immediately. I cannot continue on the committee when there is such a lack of consultation.”

Read more:

Dr Gellatly, a career public servant who finished in 2007 after 13 years as the head of the premier’s department, has held various high-profile appointments since then, including three years running Wollongong council after the elected council was sacked for corruption.

Newcastle’s audit and risk committee was established in 2009 and Dr Gellatly has been chairing it since September 2013.

Although it can only advise the council, it is responsible for reviewing key aspects of the council’s operations including financial management, fraud control, governance and compliance.

Responding, Mr Bath wrote that he was disappointed Dr Gellatly had resigned on “press reports”.

He said that “if you had called” he would have learned the restructure was approved by the elected council –including the two councillors on the audit committee –and related to 20 staff on “senior contracts”. He said the affected staff, a staff consultative committee, the media and the unions had all been consulted, and he would “speak with the audit committee” on May 16.

He told Dr Gellatly of “likely changes” to the council’s internal auditing processes and said they had been discussed with an affected staff member “at length in a respectful but robust conversation”.

“I thank you for your service to NCC and wish you the best for the future,” Mr Bath concluded.

Dr Gellatly has not responded to requests for an interview on his resignation.

Audit committee annual reports show Dr Gellatly had been originally appointed for a 12-month term and that this had been repeatedly extended, with his current term due to have finished in September.

The committee has five members –three independent appointees and two councillors, with those positions presently held by Labor’s Jason Dunn and Green councillor John MacKenzie.

The remaining members of the committee are Stephen Coates, an auditor and director of Newcastle firm Prosperity Advisers, and Stephen Horne, an auditor and former head of the NSW Internal Audit Bureau, who in 2015 established a consultancy business, Checks, Balances & Integrity Pty Ltd.

The council spokesperson said Mr Coates would act as acting chairman at the next meeting and a permanent chair would be in place for the following meeting in August.

Committee members are required to sign deeds of confidentiality.

Cr Dunn said this prevented him from discussing committee matters but he was prepared to add that he had “no concerns” regarding Dr Gellatly’s resignation.