Monthly Archives: May 2019
CONFIDENT: Daniel Georgievski could sense early that the Newcastle Jets had the ingredients for a successful campaign despite the club’s doubters. Picture: Darren Pateman (AAP)DANIEL Georgievski likes to delveinto a city’s history. Listentostories. Discoverhow itfunctions. Its hearbeat. Its soul.
The Jets defender and his soon-to-be wife, Emily, are journeying toHavana, Cuba, for their honeymoon in July“to experience the culture and see its transformation from communism”.
They, in his words, “love that stuff”.
READ MORE:Lawrie McKinna’s message – Season to cherish, and more to play for
Before signing with the Jets, Georgievski, who spent a large slice of his career in Croatia and Romania, explored the history of Newcastle.
He was subsequently lured by the changing face of the city, the beach culture and proud football heritage.
“I love a city that has a story,” the 30-year-old Macedonian international said.
CROWD FAVOURITE: Daniel Georgievski celebrates with the Newcastle faithful. Picture: Darren Pateman (AAP)
On Friday, Georgievski and his Jets teammates hope to add another chapter to Newcastle’ssporting folklore.
The Jets host the A-League’s youngest–and richest–club Melbourne City at what is certain tobe a heaving McDonald Jones Stadium.
At stake is a place in the grand final, and for the Jets a shot a second championship, a decade on from the club’s lone title.
That win–agripping1-0 triumph over the Mariners at Allianz Stadium on February 24, 2008–was the day a region with arich football tapestry finally had the chance to beat its chest.
READ MORE:‘Blow-in’ Nikolai out to deliver ultimate goal to adopted city
“Growing up, I had travelled to Newcastle a few times with my cousins and absolutely loved it,” Georgievski said.“I knew a little bit about the history of the cityand its close ties to BHP. My fiancee also loves looking into the heritage of a city and once we looked further into Newcastle, it was quite interesting.I didn’t know much about the A-League until I moved back to Australia. I knew the Jets had won it before. We weremore interestedinthe city and how it went frombeing a BHP town–a coal-mining town–into a proper city.”
The biggest attraction for Georgievski was“how beautiful the beaches are”.
Though intoxicatedby the laid back coastallifestyle, a dream for a kid fromBlacktown in Sydney’s west, Georgievski was given some matter-of-fact advice from respected journalist,authorand Newcastle footballaficionado, Neil Jameson.
“He told me that it was a beautiful city but not to fall into the same trap as players in the past,” Georgievski said.“Life is like a holiday here, but don’t make your football like a holiday. That was the perfect advice.We live in one of the best spots in Newcastle and I’m really grateful that I get to wake up and listen to the ocean everyday.As a player you are not here on a holiday, you are here to entertain.”
A-League: Jets defender shoots for a slice of history TweetFacebookI love a city that has a story.
– Daniel Georgievski
Federal MP Simon Birmingham and SA Premier Steven Marshall joined crowds at the Anzac dawn service.Norman Curley often said if he had been an inch taller, he would never have made it home from war.
At Adelaide’s Anzac Day dawn service, his grandchildren, Garry Munro and Julie Moffat, clutched his framed picture and proudly told of his wartime heroics.
“He brought a helmet home with a bullet hole in it, and I used to ask him (about it) when I was young,” Mr Munro told AAP following the commemoration.
“He said ‘I was not tall for a reason… if I was any bigger, I probably wouldn’t have survived the war’.”
Ms Moffat travelled to Adelaide from Sydney especially for the service, and said her grandfather served in both World Wars before returning home to Australia.
Wearing Mr Curley’s rings, she said he had lied about his age to enlist to serve at just 15 years old.
As the sun rose, Ms Moffat joined thousands gathered at the South Australian National War Memorial and spilling down North Terrace, for the annual dawn service to mark Australia’s national day of remembrance.
Ian Smith, chair of the RSL SA’s Anzac Day committee, said more work needs to be done to recognise the service of women in the armed forces.
Women were restricted to nursing roles prior to World War II, when all three services introduced women’s branches.
“Women were fully integrated during the 1970s and 80s, and since then have continued to make their mark with a full range of responsibilities across all three services,” he told the crowd.
Mr Smith said 2018 marked the centenary of the end of the First World War, and Australian involvement in stopping the German spring offensive and in supporting the allied 100 offensive that drove the Germans back.
It also marks the 75th anniversary of many World War II battles and events, including the last Japanese air raid on Darwin, and the 50th anniversary of the 1968 Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War.
“Today we remember the service and sacrifices of all Australians who have served our nation in wars and conflicts since Federation,” Mr Smith said.
“In the last resort, they are the ones we have relied upon to protect us and our democratic freedoms.”
As the Last Post was played an elderly digger in the front row of the service collapsed before two minutes of silence was held.
Paramedics were quickly on the scene and reported he was “fine” as he was taken away.
The service, attended by dignitaries, politicians and representatives of various groups, began with the arrival of governor Hieu Van Le and the catafalque party.
Among those who laid wreaths were federal politicians Simon Birmingham and Penny Wong, Premier Steven Marshall, Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas and Lord Mayor Martin Haese.
The service, which last about 50 minutes, concluded with the national anthems of Australia and New Zealand.
Australian Associated Press
The US has changed its mind on making Admiral Harry Harris its Australian ambassador.Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says he is disappointed Harry Harris will not be the next US ambassador to Australia, but understands why the experienced admiral is being redirected to South Korea.
Mr Turnbull has not spoken to US President Donald Trump since learning of the decision earlier this week, but insists he is unperturbed.
“I’m disappointed that Harry’s not coming because he’s a really good friend and I think Harry will be disappointed that he’s not coming to Canberra too because he loves Australia,” he told reporters in France.
“He is a guy of enormous experience and ability and given the situation on the Korean Peninsula, given the tensions there, I can well understand why the president has decided that the admiral’s expertise and experience is going to be able to be put to better use in Korea than in Australia.”
Mr Turnbull praised the “fantastic job” being done by acting US ambassador Jim Caruso.
“The relationship between Australia and the United States, as you all know as well as I do, that is so deep and so intense and operates at so many levels, the absence, if you like, of an ambassador is not really troubling the very strong relationship we have whatsoever,” Mr Turnbull said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop confirmed Admiral Harris would not be heading to Canberra after being notified by acting US Secretary of State John Sullivan.
Ms Bishop said Mr Sullivan made it clear a new appointment to Canberra would be a priority for the next secretary of state.
“Based on the assumption he is confirmed by the Senate this week I hope to have a conversation with Mike Pompeo as soon as possible,” she said.
The full-time Canberra post has been vacant since September 2016, with Charge d’Affaires Mr Caruso acting in the role.
Former coalition deputy prime minister and diplomat Tim Fischer described one year without a US ambassador as an “accident” reflecting its low priority in Washington.
“Nigh on two years will be an insult with impact, notwithstanding the good work of the acting ambassador in Canberra,” he told AAP.
Labor foreign affairs spokeswoman Penny Wong said she recognised how important the South Korea post was to regional security given the risk presented by North Korea.
“It is disappointing that despite the close ties between our two countries, the post of US ambassador to Australia has now been left vacant for 19 months,” she said.
“We hope the government expresses to the United States the importance of this appointment being resolved soon.”
Dr Alan Tidwell, director of the Centre for Australian, New Zealand and Pacific Studies at Georgetown University in Washington DC, agreed it was disappointing.
“It does make one wonder about the meaning of ‘mateship’,” he told AAP.
However, he said it should not be taken personally, but rather reflected the nature of the Trump White House.
Two men speculated to be in line for the Seoul job – retired US Army General James Thurman and outgoing House Foreign Affairs Committee chairman Ed Royce – could now be in the mix for Canberra.
Australian Associated Press
An artist’s impression of the new ambulance station proposed for Aberglasslyn Road, Rutherford.The State Government has announced plans to build a$3.8millionambulance training, education and dispatch centre thatwill employ 32people, onAberglasslyn Road, Rutherford.
Health Infrastructure NSW has flagged the proposal with Maitland City Council who will now place plans for the state-of-the-art development on exhibition for public comment.
The State plans building two structures on No. 65 Aberglasslyn Road, one building to accommodateon-call Ambulance officers, the other used for training and education purposes.
The site is flanked by a new children’s day care centre and a hardware business.
The station will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a weekand the education facility between 7am and 5pm.
The ambulance station is expected to have a maximum number of 24 staff members working from the site at any given time.
The new Maitland station is part of the State’s $122 million Rural Ambulance Infrastructure Reconfiguration (RAIR) Program.
The program currently includes 23 locations across the state that will benefit from an upgraded, rebuilt or entirely new ambulance station.
It is the biggest regional and rural transformation of NSW Ambulance infrastructure in the organisation’s history.
Designed with input from local ambulance staff the new Maitland station will includeadministration support as well as educational facilities and relief accommodation.
A Health Infrastructure spokesperson said construction on the new station is expected to begin later this year.
Once completed, the station will include:Increased internal parking for up to sevenemergency ambulance vehicles, administration and office areas, amenities, logistics and storage areas, staffparking and aneducation facility and zone office.
“Thenew building will replace the existing 45-year-old station in Gillies Street, Rutherford and will better support paramedics to deliver high quality emergency mobile care to the community,” the spokesperson said.
“All new RAIR station locations are chosen based on careful and extensive modelling of ambulance demand and with important operational considerations in mind such as access to major roads to support effective ambulance response to emergency patients.”
Twenty threeupgraded, rebuilt or new regional and rural ambulance stations have been announced under the State’s RAIR program, including completed stations at Wagga Wagga, Coolamon, Ardlethan and Harden.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.
A rejected NSW woman drove over her ex-boyfriend before repeatedly punching him as he was trapped under her car in a Christmas Day attack.
Susan Jane Jongsma’s ex-boyfriend was caught standing in front of a fence when she accelerated towards him in the drive way of his Goulburn home on the afternoon of December 25, 2016.
As he laid pinned at the chest with one leg turned upwards, Jongsma left the driver’s seat of the running vehicle and punched him several times before being pulled away, the NSW District Court heard on Monday.
Jongsma, now 53, was jailed for at least two years and three months over the attack, which she says she doesn’t remember.
Judge Robyn Tupman, in sentencing Jongsma to a maximum of four-and-a-half years, said the “very serious” offence amounted to “a serious overreaction as a result of being rejected in a domestic relationship”.
She said Jongsma had been drinking alcohol at the time of the incident, was suffering a depressive illness and her relationship with the victim was dysfunctional and strained.
Jongsma, who previously committed domestic violence offences, had shown up at the victim’s house after he ignored her messages and turned off his phone.
She soon turned physical and aggressive, trying to choke him and destroying his phone, the court heard.
The man left the house to get help when Jongsma got in her car and drove towards him, steering her vehicle to follow his movements.
The judge said the victim was reported to have made a good physical recovery but continued to suffer the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder.
She said Jongsma, who self-harmed in the wake of the attack and told police she wanted to die, had taken steps towards her rehabilitation and wasn’t the same person that she was then.
Jongsma will be eligible for parole in July 2020.
Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467.
National domestic violence helpline: 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT. In an emergency call triple-zero.
Australian Associated Press