. .

Monthly Archives: January 2019

Comments Off on Inglis overcomes pain to reach 250 mark

Inglis overcomes pain to reach 250 mark

Inglis overcomes pain to reach 250 mark

Greg Inglis of the Rabbitohs racked up 166 metres in last week’s win over the Canberra Raiders.It was the first time Greg Inglis had found himself in open space in over a year, but Alex Johnston didn’t think his skipper was going anywhere fast.
Nanjing Night Net

“I thought he was on a treadmill for the last fifty I reckon,” Johnston said.

“I spoke to him after. He reckons he had another gear and I said, ‘What, reverse?'”

But it wasn’t so long ago when Inglis not only thought that his career was going backwards, but may have even reached full stop as he battled depression in the midst of a long recovery from an ACL injury.

It was that combination that almost forced him to give up on the game, and fall short of the 250-game milestone he will now reach when he runs freely against Brisbane on Thursday.

“There was dark days there where I thought about it and I come very close to it. I even had conversations with the club about it,” Inglis recalls.

“But I’m here now and if I didn’t go through that, I wouldn’t have learnt so much about myself. (So) I’m glad I went through it.”

Now Inglis’ steady rise in form has coincided with the Rabbitohs’ move up the ladder, having won four of their past five games to occupy sixth position nearly a third of the way into the season.

Hooker Damien Cook, who had only played one game with Inglis prior to this season, says the captain has played a major part in their rejuvenation.

“When you’re going out on the field with Greggy there, you know you’re in for a good chance of winning that game,” Cook said.

“Greg’s one of the reasons why I was looking forward to coming to this club.”

Inglis credits the club’s coaching staff for helping him back to full fitness, which included racking up 166 metres against the Raiders – his highest count since an 199-metre outing in August, 2016.

He admits it has taken him more than a few weeks to find some resemblance to the form that made him a Kangaroos and State of Origin star but, like he told Johnston, warns there is more to come.

“I’m not hiding the fact that it took me a few weeks to get back to the way I’m playing now,” he said.

“And I’ve still got a fair bit to go (but) in saying that, it does take it’s time. It is a massive injury to come back from performing consistently.”

Australian Associated Press

Comments Off on Criticism of advice complaints process

Criticism of advice complaints process

Criticism of advice complaints process

Fair Work’s Donna McKenna has given evidence into her own bad experience with the financial sector.Industrial umpire Donna McKenna is no stranger to disputes.
Nanjing Night Net

But after her “unhappy experiences” complaining that advice from a celebrity “financial guru” would have cost her $500,000, the Fair Work commissioner wonders what hope there is for everyday Australians.

Ms McKenna went to Sam Henderson for advice after seeing him on television and reading his articles in publications such as the Australian Financial Review and Money Magazine.

She also knew his advisory firm Henderson Maxwell had been named the Association of Financial Advisers’ 2016 practice of the year.

But the advice she received was “risible”, Ms McKenna told the banking royal commission.

“I can remember saying to my son words to the effect I can’t believe this.

“I’ve been to see the financial planner of the year and this is what you get.

“I thought that if I went to an independently-owned financial planning firm that I wouldn’t be subjected to product flogging of the type associated with the big banks, and yet, all I’m being flogged is Henderson Maxwell’s own products and services.”

The commission heard Ms McKenna would have lost $500,000 “just like that” if she had followed the advice, as she would have forfeited her rights to that entire deferred lump sum benefit if she accessed her superannuation before the earliest retirement age of 58.

Mr Henderson blamed the problems with the advice on an error in the research conducted by a paraplanner.

He offered a refund of the $4950 upfront plan preparation fee but Ms McKenna took her complaint to another professional body, the Financial Planning Association, in March 2017.

The complaint and disciplinary process has not been finalised.

Ms McKenna said she felt she had a public duty to share her story and “unhappy experiences with the FPA” with the royal commission.

“If someone with my educational and occupational background hits a wall when you endeavour to engage proper disciplinary processes, what hope would someone who does not have those type of occupational background and skills – what hope are other people going to have?

“It seems that it is going to take a royal commission so that I can find out what happened to my complaint before the FPA.”

FPA CEO Dante De Gori will give evidence about the disciplinary system within the financial advice sector when the commission hearing resumes on Thursday.

Australian Associated Press

Comments Off on Labor calls to end live sheep trade mount

Labor calls to end live sheep trade mount

Labor calls to end live sheep trade mount

Labor’s MP for Fremantle Josh Wilson wants the live sheep trade to stop completely.Calls are mounting within Labor to end the live sheep trade in the Middle East as the Awassi Express looks set to embark on its next voyage later this week after complying with a ventilation improvement order.
Nanjing Night Net

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority imposed the order on the Emanuel Exports-chartered vessel after footage of 2400 sheep dying in filth and extreme heat on an August journey was broadcast earlier this month.

The operator must now lodge an export permit application with the federal Department of Agriculture and formally commit to additional conditions that have been imposed, including a 17.5 per cent reduction in sheep numbers.

If the department is satisfied, livestock will be loaded onto the ship in Fremantle port later this week.

Acting Labor leader Tanya Plibersek urged the federal government to consider a suspension in the northern hemisphere summer trade while a review ordered by federal Agriculture Minister David Littleproud is completed.

Labor’s MP for Fremantle Josh Wilson wants the live sheep trade to stop completely, saying he’s long been opposed to it along with people in his electorate.

“People in the Labor caucus understand my view, and I’m not alone,” Mr Wilson told Sky News on Tuesday.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has strengthened his position on live exports since a recent visit to Perth, when he was coy on whether or not he supported a summer ban as sought by WA Agriculture Minister Alannah MacTiernan.

“Other politicians have looked at a summer ban. We’ll work with the government to make sure this doesn’t happen again,” Mr Shorten told reporters a fortnight ago.

He backed a suspension last week.

“There are a number of people who have taken a view about the inherent cruelty in the long haul live export of sheep and I was really glad that Bill made that call,” Mr Wilson said.

Federal Liberal MP Sussan Ley didn’t change her mind about wanting to end long haul live exports altogether after discussions with farming groups on Monday.

Australian Associated Press

Comments Off on Mehajer to face another sentencing in NSW

Mehajer to face another sentencing in NSW

Mehajer to face another sentencing in NSW

Salim Mehajer has been found guilty of intimidating his ex-wife.Sydney property developer Salim Mehajer will be sentenced later this year after being found guilty of intimidating his ex-wife when he emailed and messaged her in 2017.
Nanjing Night Net

The 31-year-old’s evidence was on Tuesday rejected as “confusing” and “self-serving” after he claimed his ex-wife Aysha Learmonth may have sent an Instagram message to herself using his account in November.

The former Auburn deputy mayor told Burwood Local Court she’d also occasionally slept over during that time and was “flirtatious” at social gatherings after she moved out in 2016.

Ms Learmonth previously told the court the messages made her feel uneasy and unsafe.

Magistrate Jacqueline Trad found Mehajer guilty of intimidation but dismissed another charge of contravening an apprehended violence order.

Earlier this month, Mehajer was found guilty of electoral fraud and, following a fourth bail application, released from prison after spending two months behind bars.

Australian Associated Press

Comments Off on Continue Anzac legacy, Sydney service told

Continue Anzac legacy, Sydney service told

Continue Anzac legacy, Sydney service told

Authorities have assured the public there’s no specific terror threat to Anzac services in NSW. Thousands attended the Sydney Anzac Day dawn service in Martin Place.
Nanjing Night Net

More than 30 years in the military has meant Conrad Glindemann has missed some key moments in his son’s life, but he wasn’t going to pass the opportunity to take the 10-year-old to his first Anzac Day dawn service in Sydney this year.

The serving Royal Australian Air Force officer, based in Richmond, stood proudly alongside son Hayden at the Martin Place ceremony on Wednesday to pay tribute to Australia’s servicemen and women.

Mr Glindemann said Hayden started walking while he was away from home during one of his two tours to the Middle East.

“There’s always part of your life that you miss because you’re so far away from everything,” he told AAP.

He said Wednesday’s service was “quality Dad and son time” and was likely to help Hayden better understand his job, though he has already developed a strong interest in the military.

“He’s always been wanting to come.”

Air Commander Australia, Air Vice Marshall Steven Roberton, delivered the address at the ceremony lauding the original Anzacs, members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915.

He said Anzac Day is a day to celebrate the Australian spirit, not to glorify war, and stressed its legacy must be continued more than 100 years after the tragic landing.

“Anzac signifies strength and quality of character, attitude and action that transcends time,” he told the thousands gathered in the heart of Sydney.

“The challenge for us here this morning is to ensure that the spirit of Anzac is passed on to our children and, in so doing, honour the fallen and their sacrifice.”

That challenge was met by Suzanne and Paul Smith and their adult son Matthew, who, after decades of attending the dawn service together, brought Matthew’s five-year-old Xavier into the fold for the first time.

Ms Smith, whose own father was a serviceman, said it’s important that future generations appreciate the sacrifices of those who came before them.

“They’re growing up in a different world now, so it makes a big difference,” she told AAP.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, acting Opposition Leader Tanya Plibersek and NSW Governor David Hurley were among the official attendees.

Later, female veterans will lead the march in Sydney for the first time to mark 103 years since Anzac troops landed on the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey.

Security will be tight, with steel bollards positioned along the Sydney CBD march route, while CCTV and airport-style bag checks will be utilised as uniformed and plain-clothes police patrol the streets.

However, authorities stressed on Tuesday there were no known security threats for NSW during Anzac Day commemorations.

Australian Associated Press